Blog

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Keyless Clueless

I show up for my sub job. This is the same place that I did choir at and taught first grade math. When I get there, I go to the teachers office and read the lesson plan for the day. Let me describe this room. It is used as an office for 3 different teachers. They all teach in different rooms and move around. It's got one door and the wall with the door doesn't go to the ceiling, but goes up about nine feet. After a bit, another sub shows up and doesn't have a key to the room. There is only one sub key to the room and I have it. I head out to my first class and am soon asked for the key from the other sub. The main office asked me to give her my key for the rest of the day. I reach in my pocket, but only one key is there. The key chain is broken. I look around for the key and realize the key is IN the room. I jimmy the lock open with a knife but slice my hand in the process. The dance is canceled because there isn't anyone to play guitar. Just kidding. The other sub and I are looking at the door and I point out I could get in from above. I drag a table over and leap onto the wall then I make my nine foot drop, avoiding the bookshelf on the way down. The key is on the floor by my desk. I give her the key and head back to class. When that class is over I realize I don't have the things I need for the next class. I jump the wall again and take everything I need for every class. I'm good for the rest of the day and leave my materials in the copier room for my lunch duty and lunch. By the end of the day I head back to the office and this time it's open because one of the teachers is already in there. Yippie! This school always has me on my toes so much I'm off them at times.

I also want to point out one other thing. In the middle of the day I was asked to help out the librarian. I walked in and she asked "Do you know how to alphabetize?". I told her "I know the alphabet." She pointed out "It's more than just the alphabet. It's the Dewey Decimal system. People always say 'Of course I know the alpha bet.' There are numbers too." I said "I know how to order numbers too." and in my head I wondered why she didn't just ask if I knew how the Dewey Decimal system worked. It's not like cracking the Navajo language or anything. Didn't we all learn this in 2nd grade? I got to work moving the books and reordering them. She popped in to check on me once and commented that "It's pretty easy, but you have to think sometimes." Sure lady. Thank goodness I had brought my thinking cap today.

1 Comments:

Blogger tara said...

yes, thank goodness for your thinking cap. I occasionally forget mine. Often on the same day I wear my drinking shoes (what can I say, they match my sassy pants)

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home