Communication
So, normally I talk about something that happened in my life, or post some insanely geeky stuff like data, puzzles or weird pictures of myself. Right now I'm on a bit of different posting motivation train. I'm just going to talk about something.
This is a bad idea for me for a few reasons. I'm horrible at spelling, grammar, and... well... basically writing anything that hasn't actually happened to me. There's a reason I do a lot of data/picture/puzzles: I'm good at it. I've never been the one to write a 5 page essay. Hell, I always had trouble with the half page essay. So if this post turns out absolutely horrible, I'm sorry and I assure the 3 people that regularly come here and the 8 people who sporadically show up that this is probably a one time thing. I already see this going very badly as I'm more interested in talking about me talking about things than I am at just talking. If this were out loud I'm sure It might be more cohesive and easier to tune out.
Before I actually get to what I was going to drone on about, I thought I'd continue on this odd preface to explain why I'm doing this. The main reason is because I'm bored and 4 day weekends blow when everyone is out of town. But I could use this boredom to make posters out of different sized dots (don't ask), so why do this post. Well, I was talking with my brother and he happened to show me this video game review thing called Zero Punctuation which is absolutely hilarious and very true in most of it's criticisms. After I watched every single one I was left wanting more. I felt like ranting on about something in the public and saying how dumb and awkward it was (in an English accent). It's kind of like when I (and maybe you too) leave a movie. I tend to feel like I'm the stupid main character that can sling webs, drive a car on two wheels, or bend reality (depending on the type of movie). So now here I am yammering on and on and I still haven't gotten to the part where I'm suppose to yammer on and on about something. So let's get to that, shall we.
After I watched the review videos, I decided to check my MyFacebirb, which is short for MySpace Facebook and Virb accounts. I did this because I felt like communicating with people and I can't really call people up at midnight, though if it were 2pm I wouldn't have too many people to call and the ones I would call would ultimately just be me talking with them for 30 minutes about nothing important, us both hanging up, and me wanting to talk with someone else. Pretty sad, huh. Anyway, So I go onto each of these pages and soon realize I hate all of them.
Let me take some time to explain what these things are for those of you who probably don't know (i.e. Mom). MySpace, Facebook, and Virb are all websites where you can have a cute little profile that says "hey, I'm from here and live here", "I like the Matrix" and "look at these pictures I took with my crappy camera phone" and you can comment on other peoples pages and says stuff like "the Matrix blows", "That picture sucks" or as I have recently gotten "POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!". Before I go on, I must also mention that I probably don't use these things too their full potential, the main reason being that I don't really use these for there initial purpose: to meet people, most of whom you already know in the real world. I don't even use my real name on any of them. This because, as a teacher, I meet lots of little people who live and die for this junk and I don't want them finding me and then getting there sticky candy hands all over my digital persona.
I will start with MySpace since it is the first one I joined, the most popular and also the one I check most often. I hate it. It's just plain ugly. There is annoying music half the time and the other half of the time is spent trying to read 50% opacity gray text on a white background while the page shifts around because the browser had to resize for the, just loaded , 20000x16000 sized picture of a teddy bear saying Happy-Birthday with glitter 20 feet down on the comment section. I hate it so much. I never really visit anyones page, and if I do it's only to see any new pictures they may have posted. That is an emphasized may because there is no alert to tell me if they have or have not put any new pictures up. Unless they change their avatar or post an event, because you posting pictures is an event. So to sum it up, I hate MySpace.
The next is Facebook. I am relatively new to this one, but quickly grew to hate it as well. I will give it pluses for it's lack of annoying trashy page layouts, but it loses those points with it's annoying interface and endless supply of useless add-ons. Apparently just leaving a comment isn't enough. I must leave a "Super Comment" or a "Post It Note" or "Fling a Sheep". What the hell is that? Along with more interesting ways of saying "POOP!!", is annoying invites and surveys. They're all over the place. It's like getting 18 calls from telemarketers everyday. I should know because I do get that many calls from them. Since I already hated MySpace, I quickly gave up trying to figure out what link to click on to see just the pictures Tara uploaded. I now only check it when I'm REALLY bored.
The last one is Virb. I actually like this one. It's clean, user friendly, updates me to friend activates and has no stupid add-on confusion. Basic and yet very functional. I enjoy looking at what other people have posted in the Illustration/Art group. I love it. Unfortunately, no one I know in the real worlds uses it. It's like owning an Xbox360 but only being able to play with your friends on a Super Nintendo because that's all they have and they don't have a car so you end up spending most of your time at their place. I love Virb, but hate popular opinion.
Some of you may think that this blog is basically the same as all those other sites. They each communicate something about the person. But I assure you this site is completely different. Let me illustrate it with this lovely comparison. It's like a newspaper. There are many sections to read. My Blogger site is like the editorial part right now. Often times it's like the crossword and comics section. Easy to read and if you don't like the title you can choose not to read. The other sites are like the personal ads. The personal ads where a five year old has colored over the top in crayon. If you can read around the markings, you have a hard time reading the small print and annoying shorthand. Plus most of them are useless anyway and don't tell you much about the person than the usual surface rig-a-maroll.
Okay! I think I've had enough, I'm tired now and I need to save some time before sleep to proof-read this 8 times and still not get half the mistakes I made.
Blog
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home