Blog

Monday, August 06, 2007

Tale Of Two Tests

As most of you know I took some math tests this Saturday that were required for me to get my initial teaching license. My transition license runs out soon. The first test was 2 hours and multiple choice and the second was 1 hour and written.

The first test was a piece of cake. 50 questions and I'm damn sure I got every last one right. I had time to check all my answers and still have 30 minutes to watch everyone else finish the test. The hardest part for me was writing the certification statement in cursive.

The second test was the one I was worried about. 4 questions. It took me about 15 minutes to do each. I didn't quite finish the last part of the third question either, not to say that I knew where I was going with it. Most of the people who took it had the same look of surprise and dread at the end of the test. I know I got 3 of the questions dead on. Just the one I didn't finish I only got half right for sure. I did I little bit of research today to see if I might need to retake it. The passing score for Oregon is 144. Out of what, they don't say. I found a site that stated the test is out of 200 but there are 4 different Praxis II math tests and the site wasn't very detail on which test it was talking about. I found a site that said passing in Alaska is 171. This makes the out of 200 much more credible. It also makes me fear trying to teach math in Alaska. So 144 out of 200 is 72%. I decided to do a worst case scenario with my test. I kind of know how the scoring works, but can only figure the percents. If I was slightly off on the three I did well on (4/5 for each at varying weights) and really off on the one i didn't finish (2/5 at a weight of 20%) the score I calculated for my self was 72% exactly. So I'm very confident that I passed the test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home