Blog

Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Have Internet

That took a while. I dropped my DSL when I got a cell phone and thought I'd rough it for a bit before getting cable Internet. Well, getting cable Internet wasn't too easy. I had ordered it mid-August while dog sitting at Emily's. A week later Comcast came by to install things for me. They checked my feed and I was getting no signal. He had to leave and go get the key to the box, because he mysteriously didn't have it. While he was away, I thought I'd check behind the one cable jack in my place. I unscrewed the plate and pulled it off and I mean off. I was able to pull out about 2 feet of cord until the cord was cut. Stupid apartment! I was curious if there was another jack somewhere in my apartment that I forgot about. I went on my computer and checked the map of the apartment I made. I listed all of the switches, outlets and jacks as well. There was another jack behind the entertainment center. I unscrewed that jack and it was connected to something. The guy got back and I told him what I knew. He messed with the box and tested the line. Nothing. He looked at the wire I have in the jack and said it's "59 wire" and probably can't handle the signal. He showed me the difference between "59 wire" and "6 wire". He then explained how I should get a new cable jack installed directly into my bedroom. Now I had to get a hold of my landlord, and I so love doing that.

I finally heard back from the landlord a week later. She said that there is no drilling allowed on the inside or outside of the apartment complex and told me to ask Comcast if they can do it without drilling. I was pretty sure they'd say no, but I'd try anyway. Comcast confirmed my suspicion. I called my landlord back and told them that there is no way they can do anything. I demanded they do something. Get a guy to fix it or something. She said she'll try to find out if there is a guy they can get, but cable doesn't fall under the category of things needed to live. I was fed up. I knew that my landlord would have nothing for me and even if they did, it would take them another week. I had no time for this seeing as I'm being charged for a service I'm not getting.

The next day, when I woke up, I decided to take up the old adage of "If you want something done, you have to do it yourself." I went into my closet and pulled up the panel under the carpet that leads under the apartment. I set a light in there and then went outside to see if I could see the light through the vents. Nope. I then got dressed in pants, long sleeve shirt, raincoat, and leather gloves for my spelunking trip. Before I headed under, I left a line of fishing wire at the vent. I then headed under armed with only a yard stick, flashlight, and cell phone (just incase I got stuck and needed to call someone). I did my best to avoid the insulation, power cords and sewage pipe. I was reminded a little bit of the many times I had to go underneath my parent's cabin for who knows what. There was a lot less space this time though. I got the line and brought it back to the hole in the floor. Things were looking up. I called Comcast to set up and appointment. They were very nice and told me someone would be out to connect things tomorrow. They even credited my account since I haven't been able to use it for the past week. After I got off the phone with them, I headed out for 100ft of "6" or as I soon learned RG6U coaxial cable. Thank you, ACE hardware. I connected one end to the fishing line and pulled it through to the outside. Now all I had to do was wait for tomorrow.

And tomorrow is today. He got here at 10:10 and hooked me up. He had to use an Ethernet/USB converter because I don't have a non-wireless Ethernet card. He did a very good job. He also got me basic cable for 50 cents more ($10.50 basic but $10 off Internet). That means I have clear channels plus 5 more stations (Discovery, WGN, Portland Community Network, E!, and AMC). I'm so happy. The cords left over were a bit of a fiasco, but I tidied them away. I think I need to reorganize the ones behind my computer though. I have 3 more things drawing power from behind the computer and now I'm getting a low dull hum from my speakers that is slowly drilling a hole in my brain when no audio is playing. But that is a problem for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home