Blog

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bias in Clipart

I was checking blogs and eating cereal this morning when my eye caught a glimpse of one of Maighie's notebooks on the desk. On the cover is an array of office supplies: scissors, paper clips, crayons, pushpins, and calculators. They are all designed with 2 colors: red and pinkish. All of them have lots of detail including shine and shading (even the paper clips have shading). All except the calculator. In fact, any less detail and you wouldn't know it was a calculator. It is made of 9 circles for buttons and 2 rounded rectangles, one for the screen and the other for the body. Not one lick of shading on it or sheen on the buttons. There aren't even numbers on the screen. What really gets me though is that I have never seen a calculator with 9 buttons. You couldn't even get all the digits on let alone operations. I suppose it could be a binary calculator (Buttons being: 0, 1, ., =, /, *, -, +, and ON). But who's seen one of those. I am truly appalled.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would put "AND", "OR", "XOR", and "NOT" buttons on my binary calculator. BOOLEAN!!!

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home