Blog

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cribbage Tips

I recently signed-up at my school for the cribbage tournament. I know how to play, but there are a few things I'm not sure on. I though you lovely people out there who come here would know best.

  1. How can you get a flush? Do you need all five cards to be the same suit or can it just be the 4 in your hand? Would it matter if it is in the crib hand or not? How do you count a flush?
  2. When you are pegging, must a straight be in increasing order to count it? Can you even peg straights?
  3. When cutting the deck for the "fifth card" can you just flip the top card or must you cut?
  4. If you cut a jack, you get a point for knobs, right?
  5. When pegging and you get a GO, do you go even if you can stay under or on 31 or do you let the other player start the new tally?
  6. What is a good cribbage tournament face?

On a completely seperate note, I must say that pop out of a bottle is much more pleasing to drink. I just like the feel of carrying around the bottle. The 3 finger hold is very cool.

4 Comments:

Blogger jimhalberg said...

1a. In your normal hand - the 4 cards in your hand must be the same suit. If they are: you get 1 pt each (4). If the cut card is also the same point: you get a bonus 1 pt (5 total).

1b. In the crib it's all or nothing. You must have all 4 in your hand + the same card to get 5 points, there's no 4 pointer here.

2a. You can peg straights. Order does _not_ matter at all. Not only can they be descending, but they can even be unordered. For example: I play a 4 - you play a 6 - I play a 5: I peg three for the 4-5-6 straight. As with your hand, you must have at least three in order to count it (no 2 card straights).

2b. The other trick with begging a straight is how to count it. Let's say play goes like this:
PlayerA - 4, B - 5, A -6 : Player A now pegs 3.
If PlayerB now plays a 7: he would peg 4 (he gets credit for a 4 card straight, not just the 1 that he added)
So, now if Player A plays an 8, he would peg... yep, 5.

2c. ok, and one other thing I just thought of: if there's a go: everything resets so there's no playing a couple cards before 31 and 1 after to make a straight

3. You must cut. I don't know what the official rule is: maybe like 4 cards minimum or something?

4. If a jack is cut - the dealer gets 2 points. If something else were cut and you have the J in your hand: you get 1 point at the end of the hand.

5. If you can play a card and stay under 32, you always must play it.

6. http://www.flickr.com/photos/54172109@N00/86705925/

9:04 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

comment on:
2a. Wouldn't that peg 5. 3 for the straight then 2 for 15?

2b. Would B get 4 points in this situation: A-4 B-5 A-7 B-6. Or must there be a straight for 3 before anyone can get a straight for 4?

4. SERIOUSLY!

5. If you get the GO, thus peg a point, and you can't play a card to keep under 32, do you play a card and start over or does the other player play a card?

6. HAHAHAHAHAHA! That one caught me by suprise.

1:43 PM  
Blogger tara said...

i don't know how to play cribbage. I learned once many years ago but don't remember a thing.

but i like the new toast.

7:03 PM  
Blogger jimhalberg said...

Sorry, forgot to check back on this for a bit there...

2a. right on: you would also get the points for 15

2b. yep, 4 pointer

4. DUDE!

5. if you get the go, the other guy plays to start it over (and visa versa)

Hope all is well in OR!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home